
Here you see the picture of contentment for me!
This birthday for some reason is one that I have been mentally dreading. Although my head understands that 65 is just a number, my heart and soul realize that my life on earth is way past the middle point. So what does that mean? It means I realize my time truly is shorter here and that I do not want to miss whatever God has planned for my remaining years.
It was so simple to understand my purpose when my four children were home, but when they became adults, moved away, and began their own families, my role looked very fuzzy indeed.
I do have the contentment of knowing that my Lord is in control and not I myself. That is very good, since I tend to go off in many directions and begin many things at the same time. (I am still that little girl inside this older body).
God is directing my steps, but sometimes I forget that and enter the deep world of 'woe is me!' Ridiculous, I know, but that is just what I tend to do when I am not seeking my answers from the right and only source.
On the week-end after my birthday, I was so completely surprised and blessed by first - Emily coming up Friday evening on the train. Ike made up a story about going to see the second half of a 'non-existent' ball game and asked if I wanted to go. I never want to go to a ball game of any sort unless there is a friend or relative playing, so of course I said "No". I started studying for a test I had coming up the next week and a few hours later, I heard the sound of a female voice. My first reaction was 'oh, no, my house is a mess!' I guess that is a normal female reaction, unless that lady is a "cleanie", which I am not. Anyway, how thrilled I was to see my girl. I could hardly believe it.
That's not all! The next morning we went to our weekly Saturday morning breakfast at Cafe 501 in Edmond. I was so happy to have Emily with us. It always makes me happy to see the faces of my children. Well, I had a few more faces to see! When I went into the back room, there sat my son Jay and his beautiful family. I was speechless and truly surprised, just knowing how busy they all are with their children's lives, and yet they made time to come. My son Scott and his family sadly were unable to come, but they called at breakfast to wish me a Happy Birthday, for which I was grateful! Scott is in the middle of an overwhelming project at work which includes traveling the country and he has no time to himself at all for a few more weeks.
God is so good! Whatever His will is for any person's life is the very thing that will truly bring joy and fulfillment to that person. In my case, it has been my children and grandchildren. The picture shown above is me with my Miss Annie, my youngest grandchild. She had blessed me with her presence, for the moment, at my side watching Cinderella. My face always reveals how I feel about anything. Ike says I should never play poker. I am as happy as I appear in this photo! Honest faces are good news and bad news sometimes.
Anyway, my children having taken the time out of their busy lives to honor their mother meant so much to me. What more could a mother and grandmother want out of life anyway. Take time to enjoy your own blessings in life. It is the personal relationships in life that truly matter and not the material things. Being sixty-five years old is not as bad as it sounds to you who are younger than I. You will see one day. Remember.....you are always younger today than you will be tomorrow. So true! So true! Enjoy!
so sweet. I am happy for you and so glad that the family honored you in such a special way..... so much better than lots of people and cake.
ReplyDeleteI know it meant so much to have them there and knowing that Scott wanted to be with you.
Hope you continue to enjoy God's blessings! What could be better than snugglin' a sweet grandbaby?