Monday, October 19, 2009

Time for Healing



I never thought I would say having surgery was a blessing, but I cannot say it loudly enough.

Of course, the surgery itself and immediate post-op was not pleasant, but it is what it is.

The blessings have come. The began to come almost immediately. God has given me precious friends and wonderful children. So many people brought us food that was so delicious and timely. Others sent sweet cards and flowers that were sent were the real food for my soul.

Nothing says 'lovin' like beautiful flowers. Just looking at them makes me so happy.

What amazing lessons I have been learning from this experience. No experience that God allows is wasted. At first, the total dependence I had on another person - my dear husband - was so difficult. I am a very independent person and I am accustomed to doing everything for myself.

I hated calling on him for every single need - a piece of paper, a pen, my telephone, my pillow being moved, my need to go to the bathroom (a big hassle), getting into bed, putting my leg into the exerciser, having ice packs.....literally every single thing. I began pondering, after a few days. I thought this is how God wants me to be toward Him. I do not do that. If I can do it, I do it. I do not pray always before I accept a job or do something "for Him." That is not what He desires. He wants my dependence to be totally on Him.

I am also learning to slow it down. Two hours getting cleaned up and dressed is not that unusual. That is a radical departure from the girl who can get ready and be gone in a brief span of time.

I must be very thoughtful and careful with my leg and walk deliberately and properly for the bone to heal correctly. These are mighty lessons for life..slow down, be deliberate and thoughtful about what and how you are doing things, depend on the Lord and value your body. It is an amazing gift from God and only He knows how it works best. Proper food, enough rest, and exercise are very vital for healing and I believe now very crucial for life. I am slowing down. I am pondering what is His will for my life. The amount of time I have left is shorter than I have lived. That is a tough pill to swallow. It sometimes gets stuck in my throat.

I have many more thing to ponder in this time of recovery, but at this time, I am feeling very blessed on so many levels.....much more to ponder along the way!



1 comment:

  1. Guess what I am doing? Yep, crying. I gotta get back on that medication! ha
    How you have made such a great post while recovering from your surgery, I will never know! Very insightful and encouraging for those who may be facing a similar experience. Give thanks in everything...
    Love ya, Peggy

    ReplyDelete